Directly accountable and responsible for planning, developing, implementing, and administering safety and health policies, programs, and training. Ensures compliance with all Company and governmental safety and health regulations and standards by deploying safety program direction with key plant and corporate stakeholders. Ensures expertise of safety and risk issues, develops and oversees programs, processes and procedures to control accident and health exposures and maximizes integration of the Butterball Safety Process which includes execution of OSHA VPP and North Carolina OSHA Star Program principles.
Essential Functions, Duties & Responsibilities:
Program Management: Protects the Company's employees and assets against losses, injuries and accidents by directing, implementing, and overseeing the administration of safety, health, security and key loss prevention programs. Takes and initaites independent and team action to accomplish goals and objectives while championing the development and advancement of others. Partners with Plant Management, Human Resources and Corporate Safety and Risk Management to deploy and implement the Butterball Safety Process and to fully prepare facilities for NC OSHA VPP STAR recertification. Responsible for establishing and delivering workers' compensation cost reduction and containment practices and processes.
- Investigates serious injuries in conjunction with field and staff personnel. Notifies top management of pertinent details.
- Evaluates hazardous conditions and employee practices and develops and implements effective and sustainable hazard control practices and programs.
- Guides and assists safety department personnel with critical safety and health problem evaluation and action planning
- Plans and directs safety and industrial hygiene services and monitors third party administration of the Workers Compensation program.
- Manages team of experienced safety professionals and occupational health nurses
- Manages the uniformed contract security department to include, but not limited to, staffing, deployment of exemplary organizational conflict by using effective negotiation and mediation strategiesstandards of practice and special investigations as required;
- Effectively manages time and resources to ensure work is completed efficiently
Compliance: Ensures regulatory compliance by overseeing OSHA and other compliance related activities. Protects the Company's employees and assets against losses, injuries and accidents through enforcement of safe work practices. Prevents accidents and other safety exposures by investigating, identifying causes, and developing preventative measures and practices.
- Assists field and staff management to understand OSHA regulations and standards, including guidance on handling OSHA compliance, inspections, and citations.
- Keeps apprised of developments in federal and state safety laws likely to affect the company.
Communication: Builds successful business partnerships by effectively communicating with internal customers, including but not limited to, Corporate Safety and Risk Management, Human Resources, Operations, Engineering and all other departments and employees. Establishes exceptional interpersonal relationships with team and others in creation and implementation of a continuous improvement environment. Reports to above groups and individuals on safety issues and performance.
- Partners with local management in communicating hazard control information and evaluates effectiveness of the control.
- Collaboratively resolves individual and
Safety Training: Meets safety and risk management goals by developing and implementing training programs consistent with governmental regulations and business and customer needs.
Risk Mitigation: Mitigates risk exposure by identifying sources of safety and health risk and developing needed programs, policies, and procedures. Avoids legal challenges by understanding current and proposed legislation.
- Acts as ranking plant representative in dealing with government agencies on safety and health matters affecting the company.
- Investigates fatalities or serious injuries that occur at company facilities.
Process Improvements: Ensures internal and external customer satisfaction by recommending best practices. Drives, implements, sustain, and develop quality process improvements that focus on safety, operations and customer service.
- Overviews company accident statistics and makes recommendations for correction of problem areas.
- Works with trade and professional organizations to promote goals and objectives in the health and safety area that affect company's business.
- Establishes target areas and long-range accident prevention and cost-control objectives.
- Provides solutions using effective approaches including simplification of complex issues and clearly understanding difference between critical detail and unimportant fact.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Working knowledge of OSHA, EPA, and other safety and health standards and regulations
- Understanding of the state workers compensation regulations.
- Working knowledge of medical protocols.
- Use of computers to communicate, collect and analyze data, and for presentations, proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and other operations applications is a plus.
- Ability to persuasively communicate with all levels of management. Strong training and presentation skill
Education & Experience:
- Requires seven (7) to ten (10) years progressively responsible safety related experience to include at least (5) years safety program management experience. .
- Bachelor's degree, preferably relating to Safety and Health.
- Maintain expert level fluency in all areas of OSHA including, but not limited to CFR 1910 and 1928 as well as legislation affecting these areas.
- Occupational Health-Safety and/or accredited professional certification preferred.
Associated topics: constable, emr, environment, health, physician, risk, treatment, wastewater, water, wwtp